Thursday, January 14, 2010

No Excuses

From Writers' Mouths: 
“You can’t say, I won’t write today because that excuse will extend into several days, then several months, then you are not a writer anymore, just someone who dreams about being a writer” ~ Dorothy C. Fontana (American scriptwriter and story editor) 

  
And how was the writing life this week?

I resisted writing even though I committed to 15 minutes twice a day. Yes, in the mornings, I did the recommended 15 minutes, and I tried to write most afternoons and evenings, but usually failed in that attempt. Again, I was side-swiped or chose to entertain distractions or "serenity stealers" (a term used by Milkin in her book, 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women).

My distractions mainly come from the computer, so I freed myself from some Facebook applications/notifications, Email newsletters/group discussions, and changed the settings on my Email to forward remaining groups/newsletters to replies to folders to read later (once a week). 
I also cut back on my teaching schedule to give myself at least six months or so to work on revising my novel. Putting writing first over earning money now is hard, but after trying to teach a full load and write for the last 13 years, I have learned that one can easily take precedence over the other, and so far, the writing has tread far behind.

My writing life calls for a gentler and slower pace. I have everything I need right now. A place to write, tools to write, and a world of interesting subjects just out my back door. 
Really all a writer needs is time, a pen and some paper. 
Next Week:  When Writers Go Fishing

Recommended Reading:
On Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande

Writing the Natural Way by Gabriele Lusser Rico








No comments:

Post a Comment